Sunset

Sunset

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

ALABAMA WEEK 12: SPRING IS IN THE AIR

The NFL Season is officially over and the the Baltimore Ravens are Champions. The second championship stolen from Cleveland.

There was a Super Bowl party at the clubhouse and we arrived half hour before kickoff and still got stuck with the "cheap seats" (back of the room). After the lights went out in the Superdome in the third quarter, everyone left the clubhouse and went back to their campers. I moved up to the "front row" and again was the last one standing to close up the clubhouse when the game was over.
       
                                                         
                                                           View from the "cheap seats"
                                                       (picture taken from a fellow camper)

Now, it's time to get ready for the American Past Time. The baseball season is upon us with the smell of spring is in the air. If it's College, Minor leagues or Major Leagues I will enjoy ever second of the season from spring training - opening day - All Star Games - College World Series - World Series. In less than two weeks I will be making my third pilgrimage to spring training.  My first was in 2010 to Goodyear, Arizona to see my beloved Cleveland Indians (Cincinnati Reds use same facility), the second in 2011 to Clearwater, Florida to see Philadelphia Phillies and this year will be to Fort Myers, Florida to see the Boston Red Sox. I might even push my luck and see the Minnesota Twins too (same town). The main reason I chose the Red Sox this year is to see my favorite player Travis Shaw (minor league player and top 30 prospect in the Red Sox system). He attended Kent State the same time I did and was drafted by the Red Sox in the 2011 draft. I have seen him play live at all his home games his junior season at Kent State and six times as a Pro in the last two years when his played an Ohio team. As of today, I have a collection of 219 items. Mostly baseball cards (208), 11 items (photos, balls and cards) are personally signed by him while he was at Kent State or in person at the game I saw him at. I even got two MiLB game used balls he threw in the stands between innings. I'm hoping to add to the collection while at spring training or even games I will go to this year. My top personal items are two signed photos with him at the stadium before the game started. I would love to get his personal items like jersey, pair (or single) of batting gloves and a bat (whole or even broken) to round out my collection.

                                2011 Lowell Spinners (Short Season A) @ Mahoning Valley Scrappers

                                           2012 Portland Sea Dogs (AA) @ Akron Aeros


We will be in Fort Myers, Florida for a month, but I will not go to spring training every day (I have to do sightseeing with the wife too). Follow this blog during spring training and I will post all my autographs (not just Travis Shaw) collected on the day I get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment