Sunset

Sunset

Thursday, September 11, 2014

9/11

9/11

The tragic of September 11 will be with me for the rest of my life. Everyone remembers where they were on that day. For me, the day before I was stationed in Hawaii and just re-enlisted for six year and I had my ceremony of the USS Arizona Memorial. 

The next morning I was awaken by a phone call from my supervisor informing me what was happening. My special liberty was canceled and I was to report to work ASAP.

Less than three months later I was assigned to the USS Kitty Hawk (CV63) forward deployed in Yokosuka, Japan and flew out to meet the ship in Bahrain. For the next three years my ship would make four deployments to the Persian Gulf in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom. A ship the size of the USS Kitty Hawk is cycled on average ever two years for a six month (or longer) deployment. Under these circumstances, we were on something closer to three months in port three months in workups and then six - eight months out to sea. 

To anyone who has lost a love one defending this Country, my heart and prayers goes out to you. To my fellow brothers and sisters Thank You for your service. You will NEVER be forgotten.

On a more friendly note after my retirement, September 11 also means something else for us. A time to remember something more pleasant ... It is our anniversary of our life on the road as Full-Time RV'ers. We have enjoyed the last two years driving across America seeing what this great Country has to offer. As long as I have my health and means (money) to see this great land, you better bet I'm going to see as much as I can. There is no stop in sight and I'm looking forward for many more years on the road to come.


2 comments:

  1. Russell, Thank You for your service! and enjoy your continued travels!

    Maura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words. I just followed in the footsteps of other great men in my family who wore the uniform before me. It was my honor to serve.

    ReplyDelete