Sunset

Sunset

Saturday, March 16, 2013

FLORIDA WEEK 4 (PART 3): AIRBOAT TOUR 

14 Mar
We made it back out to Big Cypress N PER, to complete the one thing we still wanted to do and that is a take an airboat ride. The first place we went to had almost a six hour wait for the 1/2 tour. They were booked with 1 and 2 hour tours. So, we headed down the road into the N PER and found Wootan's . They are the only airboat tour in the N PER as they were grandfathered in and no other company can tour the Park. Besides, airboat tour, they have swamp buggy and animal park. We only took the airboat tour and cost us only $30 for 1/2 tour for two people. That's how much the other place down the road wanted for just one person. Luckily for us they were booked and keep some money in our pocket for our next adventure. Our number was called (almost last) as other people got on the boat they went to the back or middle, so we got front row seats. As you would imagine, the airboat was noisy, but the ride was thrilling. I took a video of parts of the ride, but still having issues with loading it to the blog. I might have to get YouTube account, post the video and then add the link. The boat just glided across the water and the driver took sharp turns right alongside the trees that were covered in the swamps. We were able to see some alligators, one was about 9'. A hint I found out about alligators if you want to know how long they are. The distance from an alligators eyes to nostril in inches is how long the alligator is in feet. If your are ever in the Everglades area an airboat tour is a must.

Great, now we have to be on the look out for panthers too!



 Our tour driver



One of a few alligators we saw up close for the boat

Since we were in the Park the wife wanted to go back to the visitor center and the manatees one more time. They were there, behind the visitor center on the boardwalk. However, we took a detour and walked about the waterfront. They have picnic tables so I guess it's kind of safe... we were able to get a closer look. The water was cloudy, but you could still get a better view.



I had one more surprise before we headed back to the RV park, we stopped at Ten Thousand Island National Wildlife Refuge and walked the trail to see birds. I told you we are now bird watcher, or we are just getting old. We saw pink and white with flat beak tall birds (not a pro bird watcher... yet). A quick Google search and the birds is a Roseate Spoonbill. I have to start bringing my large zoom leans to get better  pictures of the birds. This is the closes I could zoom in on the regular leans. Not very good and would be laughed at the next bird watchers meeting. (Joking, we are not in a club...YET!)





We will pass thought Big Cypress N PER one more time as we head to Everglades NP next week. We did not want to stop in the RV while pulling the car, the parking areas are small. They do have RV parking, but cars are always parked there and no where for the RV to park.



15 Mar
It's our last Friday in Fort Myers, so we had to hit the farmers market one last time. We got our weekly fix of bread, fruit and vegetables for around $5. We then went shopping for supplies that we knew we needed for the road. As always, when you go shopping with a list that list gets bigger as you stay in the store longer.
I wanted a zero gravity chair since last summer, but the price was around $70 ~$100+. That's just too much for a chair. I said if I saw one for less than $50 I would get it. You guessed it, I found one for under $50, $45 to be exact. When the wife lays down in the chair she is too small to fit into the chair, she can't put it back up so she did not want one (she just uses mine now). The first thing I did after we get it back to the RV I took my afternoon nap.



16 Mar
I finally took a bike ride in the park. Nice, peaceful and quite ride with mother nature and early morning walkers and runner. The wife had a surprise for me, turned out to be a trip to the flea market. This one was bigger than last week. The down side lots of people selling the somethings.They were all business. No average Joe selling their personal stuff to make a buck. That is the kind of flea market I like to go to. I liked one of the alligator sign by the food court in the flea market. We still had a good day of walking and topped it off with ice cream cones (I still have a fist full of buy one get one free coupons). Back to the RV for an afternoon nap in my new chair.




No comments:

Post a Comment