Sunset

Sunset

Sunday, January 24, 2016

NAS CORPUS CHRISTI, TX & CORPUS CHRISTI HOOKS

NAS CORPUS CHRISTI, TX & CORPUS CHRISTI HOOKS

We arrived at NAS Corpus Christi  FAMCAMP and picked out our first come first serve site for the next 39 days to unwind and relax. What better spot then right on the waterfront for $18 a night.

Most nights so far have been good, while a few the RV rocked with the heavy winds coming off Corpus Christi Bay from the Gulf of Mexico. We are right next to the shower house and laundry room. There is a recreation room with cable TV, foosball table and full kitchen that campers can use. The shower house is clean and the laundry is free. My relaxing is not really relaxing. I said I need to workout out more this year, and every other day I have went to the base gym. I'm starting off slow running 3 miles a day. After the first day I was sour, but now I look forward to waking up and going to the gym to start my days. I do have to say I'm disappointed of the NAS base as a whole. I thought this base was one of the biggest for the Navy. I thought wrong. The gym, exchange and commissary are all small. There is no sushi bar in the commissary (like almost every other base), there is only a Subway and base club to get any kind of food on the go. I guess that a good thing, I'm making my own food trying to keep it somewhat healthy while keeping my wallet phat. For a Naval Air Station it is pretty quite. The flight line is on the other side of the base. Not like other bases we stayed at where the flight line is beside the FAMCAMP. Not a bad view at the end of a day either.

For some reason any state or city I'm in I find something to do with baseball. This time is no different as we visited Corpus Christi Hooks the AA Houston Astros at Whataburger Field. The stadium was completed in 2005 on land that once was cotton warehouses in the Port of Corpus Christi. The team even left some of the warehouse structures and cotton presses to keep the history intact. 



I stopped at the team store and picked up some team set cards from the past three years and mini bats at discounted prices along with my military discount.

We were walking around taking pictures as a worker was returning from lunch and asked if we wanted a tour of the stadium. Of course, we took him up on his offer.

The Hooks are doing some upgrades to the stadium by putting in new grass and new seats behind home plate. The field's new grass was already in, but still waiting of the seats to arrive. The stadium hosted the 2015 Texas League All Star game and they still had the art work displayed in the teams dugout.

In right field there is a swimming pool that will run $1,500 a game for a group of 50 with food and one beer keg. That's $30 a person with free food and beer. That's about how much one person will spend for a ticket, food and drink. This way you get to keep cool in the sun for free.




The Hooks last and only Texas League Championship can in the 2006 season. The team will celebrate their ten year anniversary of that championship this season. With the tour we got, we were even able to walk in the back offices and the trophy was on display.

For anyone who might be asking how I find baseball related history in almost every city we stop? Of course I use the internet, along with two key books that I refer to often. Roadside Baseball by Chris Epting and Baseball Vacations by Bruce Adams & Margaret Engel. Both books I got on Amazon for a penny each. Some times it out dated as minor league teams might have changed their major league affiliation, but the history remains. The books are full of locations, museums, must see attractions and list of Hall of Famers final resting spot. For anyone who love baseball as much as I do these books are a must in your RV or your glove compartment in your car. If you know of any other such books I could add to my collection, please put in the comment below.

UP NEXT:
Padre Island National Seashore.


No comments:

Post a Comment