Sunset

Sunset

Monday, July 6, 2015

MYRTLE BEACH, SC

MYRTLE BEACH, SC

15-19 May


I found out that my Aunt and Uncle was in Myrtle Beach, SC so we made a detour and headed East to Apache Pier instead of staying at Shaw AFB. Apache Pier cost more than Shaw AFB, but anytime I have a chance to see family outside of Ohio I will do my best to see them. Living on the road is fun, but spending time with family makes it that much more fun.


We did not do much sightseeing in SC as we spend most of our time with my Aunt and Uncle. Hiromi and I did lots of walking on the beach collection seashells and digging for shark teeth. Every day we would return to the RV with hands full of seashell and NO sharks’ teeth.




We extended our stay by one day as the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Advance A) was returning for a home stand. I got the ticket for the game a day early and saved. Discount of $2 a ticket for early and another discount of $3 a ticket for military ID, a saving of $5 a ticket and $20 total saving and parking was free at the stadium.

When we arrived at the stadium I was on two missions, get a Carolina League baseball and autograph of Kent State Alumni Tyler Skulina. We arrived early and were one of the first to enter the gates. After finding our seats (second row behind first base) so everyone else could sit down I was on the hunt for baseballs left after batting practice. My first one was in the left field visiting team club house area. The gates were closed so I could not walk over and pick it up. I waited until someone came out, it was the bullpen catcher. I ask for the ball (please and thank you) and he threw it over the fence for me. Now, I was back by our seats along the first base line waiting for the Pelicans to come out for pre-game warm-ups. As I looked down the bleacher looking for players to exit the clubhouse I saw a ball sitting on the rain tarp. I walked over and picked it up. Then, the players started to exit the clubhouse so I got ready. I was wearing my Kent State baseball hat, as Tyler walked by I asked for his autograph. We talked for a bit asking what year I went to Kent State, got a few autographs and a picture then wished him luck in the rest of the season. The last two years he was the starter of two no hitters. He told me he was pulled from both games because he was on a pitch count. Two combined no hitter is still remarkable, most pitchers never have one in a career. During the game, I got my third ball of the night on a foul ball lined down the first base line. I jumped out of my seat and leaped over the first row in a single bound. I was faster than the teenager in shorts and bow tie with no glove. I reached over the railing with my glove and trapped the ball so he could not reach the ball without taking it out of my glove.  Hiromi and my Aunt were laughing at my handy work.




WHAT'S NEXT?
Washington, DC


No comments:

Post a Comment