Sunset

Sunset

Saturday, July 4, 2015

JACKSONVILLE, FL

JACKSONVILLE, FL

10-14 May

One of the most easy drives in awhile, head East on I 10 and arrived in Jacksonville, FL. Because we got a really late start on the road looking for the cat we had to make it a two day trip. Like always, we found a spot and spent the night at a rest stop. We arrived at Pecan Park RV Resort just in time for pool side lunch hot dog, chips and soda for $2 a person. It really hit the spot after hooking up the RV in the hot Florida sun then we took a dip in the pool to cool off.


The office even has a pet alligator in a fish tank you can see when you register for your stay.


With Jacksonville, FL so close to the Georgia state boarder we made a day trip to Jekyll Island State Park. A state park entrance is $7 a day for parking anywhere on the Island. There is a wooded campground that will fit and size RV.  First we went to the Horton House the first colonist to build a home and plantation residence on the Island. The house built mostly from the local supplies of sand and oyster shells still stand today.


After eating our packed lunch, we walked on the beach. As we turned the corner of the beach heading out of the bay and to open ocean there is drift wood trees lining the coast.


With plenty of day light remaining we had time to stop by Fort Frederica National Monument in Georgia. The Fort was built to protect the southern boundary of Georgia from Spain. The Fort was home for the British soldiers and colonist settlers.




Another state another baseball game. This time is was the Jacksonville Suns AA team of the Florida Marlines. The Jacksonville Suns are the 2014 Southern League Champions and just sold to the owner of the Akron Rubber Ducks for $20 Million. We were driving around downtown Jacksonville and made a stop at the stadium. We got tickets for the next day home game. Some Suns' players were on the field practicing in the early afternoon. I stood along the left field fence watching practice. As the ball would fly to the outfield I would tell him good catch. Then, I started asking for a ball. Finally, one of the players looked my way and asked, "was I going to night game?" I said. "No, but got tickets for tomorrow." Then he threw the ball over the outfield wall clearing the stadium and landing next to me. I thanked him and headed back to the car where Hiromi was taking a nap waiting for me to return. I knew this would be my best chance to get a ball as tomorrow game is a school kid day at the stadium and with 3,000+ kids I would not stand a chance. For the game Hiromi went with me and the visiting team we just saw a few days ago the Pensacola Blue Wahoos won the game. Because it was kids day game, the team shop would not sell mini bats because they would be considered as weapons when they return to their school.  I talked to the shop manager and told him I collect mini bats and that I was just passing through. He told me after the game is over and all the students are gone, come back and I'll sell you one.




What's Next?
Myrtle Beach, SC with family.


No comments:

Post a Comment