Sunset

Sunset

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

TUCSON, AZ

TUCSON, AZ
Baseball and National Park

Arizona has more than just Major League Baseball, it has College Baseball too. The wife and I took a weekend trip to Tucson to see Kent State take on # 24 Arizona in a three game series.

After a little research, I found out that Hi Corbett Field home to the Arizona Wildcats was once the Spring Training home for my Cleveland Indians from 1945-1992.

2014 Wildcat Schedule
 Kent State at batting practice before game
 Wildcats Greats
 2012 College Baseball Champions
Same tournament as Kent State 
 Baseball Hall of Famers who played on Hi Corbett Field
 The only number retired is Indians Manager
Terry Francona
Rich in tradition and proven champions 

Game 1 and 3 were touch to watch. Kent State had a total of 8 wild pitches, 2 pass balls and 4 errors in the thee game series. Defense like that and it is hard to win any game. Game 2 was fun to watch as Kent State had 16 batter come to the plate in the first inning and put up 11 runs before Arizona even got up to bat.

From what I saw, the freshman phenom Eric Lauer the #14 ranked Freshman (pre-season) in the country and 2013 MLB Draft 17 rounder (Did not sign) at only 18 years old, 6'3" and 205 lbs, he looks to be the real deal. After walking his first college batter he faced, he was light out to the next 9 batters he faced. They were 1 for 9 with 1 BB, 1 SO 1 ER and that run was giving up by the pitcher who relieved him. And to top it off, he was the one who recorder the win and was named MAC pitcher of the week too.

Eric Lauer first college pitch

Because, I'm so far behind in my posts a week has passed and Kent State played a tournament in South Carolina. In the final game of the tournament,  Eric Lauer throw 5 no hit inning picking up the win with 1 BB, 3 SO and 1 HP. Of the 17 batter faced they were 0-15.  Kent State pitchers finished the game in allowing only one run on one hit. In 7.2 inning pitched opposing batter are only hitting .042 against Eric and he was named MAC pitcher of the week for the second week in a row.

If I don't get this posted soon, I will be talking about Eric's third game too.

After game 2, I was able to talk to some players and was able to pass a 8.5x14 team sign sheet that players signed as they left the dugout. I got 23 of the 36 man roster for 64% of the team. I got 6 of the 7 former draft picks to sign. I was also luck enough to add 7 more Kent State Alumni photos to my collection (5x7 photo with players picture and school logo). Finally, I started the Kent State 2013 draft photo. Kent State had five player drafted in 2013, but Eric Dorsch did not sign and stayed in school. Three of the final four will be in Arizona Minor League camp this spring training and I will continue to work to get this photo completed. The only other player is in Florida playing in the Yankees system. I guess I will have to try and get him to sign if his team is playing somewhere close to us.

Arizona Night Baseball ... WHAT A VIEW

Game 1 Final score
 Game 2 Final
(11 runs top 1st) Kent St broke the score board
 Game 3 Final Score


Weekend Autographs



SAGUARO NATIONAL PARK
I'm not all about baseball, even though my wife sometimes thinks so. Before game 2 (night game) we took a day trip to Saguaro National Park in Tucson. As you might have guessed. we visited another Cactus National Park. It was an 8 mile loop with pull offs and hiking trails. The loop is long and lots of hills, you have to keep your eyes open for the bicycles. The views was beautiful and we enjoyed the day with weather in the low 80's.








No comments:

Post a Comment