Sunset

Sunset

Friday, August 29, 2014

SEATTLE, WA (PART I) JIMI HENDRIX & BRUCE LEE

SEATTLE, WA (PART I)
JIMI HENDRIX & BRUCE LEE

I did not forget to post our summer adventures. The goal is to catch up and maybe have some current events posted in between too.

We are waiting for our call from Amazon to start our winter job (until 23 Dec). Last word I received was that we would start on 1 Nov. Until then, we are at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas, NV. With the football season upon us, and the last three years of having winning records I will test the waters. As the preseason have come to a close I was 21-9 and feeling good about my chances. Every week my wife wishes me luck! That is the key to my winning record and a little research never hurts either before laying the bet.

2 Jun - 2 Jul

We are held up at Tall Chief RV Resort for the month of June, located about 30 minutes from Downtown Seattle, WA. We did a lot of sightseeing, eating out and even crossed the border to BC, Canada to celebrate our 21st anniversary. I will try my best to keep in the timeline of the events we did. However, some events were similar so I'll just put them together. Also, putting all my events in one month as one post will be too big, and even I would not sit and read it all in one sitting. So, I have divided it into a few parts. Now, where to start......

I thought for a long time, the only things Seattle was famous for was Starbucks (by the way, I hate coffee), Bill Gates and of course Jimi Hendrix and Bruce & Brandon Lee.

My first stop was Jimi Hendrix grave at Greenwood Memorial Park. In his short spanned career of only four years he became one of the most influential electric guitarists in history. Unfortunately, he died in London, Sept 18, 1970 before I was born and I can only hear recordings of him playing. I'm left handed too, and for some reason I love left handed guitarist. When I had the change to be in Seattle, I could not pass up the opportunity to see his grave. Jimi Hendrix requested that when he died that he be buried in London. However, his family wanted him close to home in Seattle. In Sept 2014 a movie "Jimi: All is by My Side" is being released staring Andre "3000" Benjamin portraying Jimi Hendrix. Another movie added to my must watch list.

As we pulled into Greenwood Memorial Park main entrance we could see Jimi Hendrix grave site. You can't miss it, since it stands soo tall, all roads lead to his site. If you enter from the side entrance, it's right in front of you.












Born Lee Jun-fan, he was the founder of Jeet Kune Do and one of the most influential martial artists of all time later to be know as .... Bruce Lee. He was also a philosopher, always learning and translating into a easy way of understanding..."...be water my friend". Bruce Lee has touched the lives of so many and will continue to do so for generations to come. I watched Bruce Lee movies along with all of his son Brandon Lee movies growing up. It's tragic how both died young  Bruce (32) Brandon (28). Again, I had the chance to see their graves and I could not pass on this opportunity.

Located at Lake View Cemetery in the heart of downtown Seattle; 5 minutes from the Space Needle.Their site is a little hard to find, tucked away at the top of a hill beside a few bushes and a view of the lake. I remembered seeing pictures I found on the internet and was able to find it, but there is no room for parking. I drove up to the next area and parked along the road side so other cars could still pass. Another helpful hint was the yellow tape around other grave sites. I assume it was so people would not walk over them trying to get to Bruce and Brandon Lee site, have to show some kind of respect for the dead. Once we arrived groups of people started coming around, I guess they could not find his site, until they saw us.





For both Jimi Hendrix and Bruce Lee who was born in American, they had to move overseas to become famous in American.There will NEVER be another Jimi Hendrix or Bruce Lee come along for as long as I live. I just wish I was around to experience it like I was able to do with Kurt Cobain (another left handed guitarist).   

No comments:

Post a Comment