Sunset

Sunset

Sunday, July 6, 2014

REDWOOD NP to OREGON CAVES NM

I have internet connect ... at least for the next few day! As promised, I will start posting and fill you in on our adventures. I was talking to my mother the other day on the phone and we were joking that at this pace I should be caught up by Christmas. I hope it don't take that long...

REDWOOD NP to  OREGON CAVES NM
17 May

We crossed the Oregon State line and headed to Oregon Caves. As we arrived at the National Monument Campground, but it was still closed. We had to pull over to the side of the narrow two lane road to remove the car and try to turn our rig around and head back into town to find a place to park the RV for the next few days. We stopped at Country Hills Resort, about a mile or so from the NM campground. From the road we could only see cabins, but in the back of the property has a large open field with plenty of open space with water and electric hookups with a creek side camping.




18 May

We headed back up the mountain to the entrance of the Oregon Caves NM. Every car coming down the other side was a Porsche, one after an other. When we got to the parking lot there was even more Porsche.


We signed up for our tour, $8.50 each with no military discounts. We were asked if we have been to any other caves in the last five years. I told them Mammoth Caves, KY. They asked if my boots were the same I used. After saying yes, I was thank for being honest, then was asked to remove them as the park rangers would wash them with bleach. They did this to reduce the risk of White Nose Syndrome spreading into Oregon Caves. About 30 minutes later my boot's were returned and our tour was about ready to start. I volunteered to bring up the rear. This gave me the chance to take pictures and not block the line from moving forward.






When the tour was finished we walked around the hotel "The Chateau at the Oregon Caves". Built in 1932 as a place for tourist to spend the night. It's a rustic log cabin feel.





Tomorrow, we'll head north to Sutherlin, OR. The Next RV Park is truly a one of a kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment